1 : marked by forceful and fluent expression an eloquent preacher. 2 : vividly or movingly expressive or revealing an eloquent monument.
What is an eloquent person?
An eloquent speaker expresses herself clearly and powerfully. … A great orator or speaker like Martin Luther King was eloquent. When something is beautifully, gorgeously, perfectly said (or written), it’s eloquent. Being eloquent requires your words to be smooth, clear, powerful, and interesting.
What does eloquence mean in the Bible?
1 : discourse marked by force and persuasiveness also : the art or power of using such discourse.
What does eloquence mean?
noun. the practice or art of using language with fluency and aptness. eloquent language or discourse: a flow of eloquence.
What is an example of eloquent?
The definition of eloquent is expressive and persuasive. An example of something eloquent is Martin Luther King, Jr’s I Have a Dream speech. An example of someone eloquent is a motivational speaker. … Having, or characterized by, eloquence; fluent, forceful, and persuasive.
Is Eloquence a sign of intelligence?
Eloquent people sound smart, regardless of how intelligent they are. The opposite is true as well. Smart people who are incoherent (like some engineers I’ve known) often come off as if they’re of limited intelligence. Fortunately, eloquence is a skill that can be taught, practiced, and mastered.
What’s the difference between elegant and eloquent?
Elegant – of a high grade or quality, splendid. Eloquent – marked by forceful and fluent expression, vividly or movingly expressive or revealing. The queen, dressed in an elegant manner, gave an eloquent speech.
What does marooned mean?
marooned; marooning; maroons. Definition of maroon (Entry 2 of 3) transitive verb. 1 : to put ashore on a desolate island or coast and leave to one’s fate. 2 : to place or leave in isolation or without hope of ready escape.
What does instill eloquence mean?
Someone could instill eloquence in you by teaching you different speaking techniques. 1 answ. To evoke a sullen response, someone could punish another person. 1 answ.
What are synonyms for eloquent?
other words for eloquent
Is articulate the same as eloquent?
Articulate means to be able to speak well and clearly. Using the proper words and grammar to get your point across. Eloquent means to speak well and clearly PLUS make the listener(s) feel something in your words.
What does the phrase obscured by eloquence mean?
Here, an urgent matter can not wait for politeness. Usually polititians who want to hide something or distract the audience speak more eloquently even using verse sometimes.
How do you use the word eloquent?
Eloquent sentence example
- His speeches in the chamber were always eloquent and powerful. …
- He is said to have been a good talker and an eloquent preacher. …
- He learned to be eloquent on the right occasion in order to be successful. …
- He made an eloquent plea for peace.
How do you use eloquently?
- I was toasted by him most eloquently at the dinner.
- She spoke eloquently on the subject for about an hour.
- Jan speaks eloquently about her art.
- His face expressed his grief more eloquently than any words.
- She spoke eloquently about the need for action.
How do you write eloquent in English?
5 Tips for More Eloquent Writing
- Remember the Rule of Three. The Three Blind Mice. …
- Repeat Yourself (Kind Of) My next favorite rhetorical technique is called anaphora or parallelism, and it is simply starting each sentence with the same word or phrase. …
- Follow A Rhythm. …
- Ask Questions. …
- Just Keep Writing.